Quora is a strange place where people pose a variety of questions on all sorts of topics. Many of the questions are from a range of people, some genuinely asking questions to find answers and others trolling for angry responses or merely the bored who incite earnest replies from the more serious minded for a laugh. Quora must have me profiled as an atheist because I tend to get a lot of questions and answers in my feed related to religious questions. Many of these seem to be from the religiously minded who seem to pose leading questions that appear to be aimed at encouraging atheists to give up their ignorant ways and see the light – a sample of such questions from my Quora feed as I write this include the following gems:
- As an atheist, who will you turn to in your hour of need? Will you just accept your fate willingly without any additional source of hope?
- As an atheist, why is it hard to believe in a superior being?
- Why would an atheist suggest that more people should read the Bible?
- What is the psychology behind atheism? What motivates people to believe in atheism?
- Is atheism and agnostic the same thing or are they similar?
- As an atheist, what would it take to convince you of God? Think about your answer more before you just say “evidence”. What specific evidence could be only attributed to God that would convince you of God?